Portland police enforce a curfew for minors in Portland.
Nighttime curfew hours are from: 11:00 p.m. until 6:00 a.m., on Sunday through Thursday, and from midnight to 6:00 a.m., on Friday and Saturday. nights and from 12 am until 6 am on Friday and Saturday nights.
In addition there is a daytime curfew from 8:30 a.m. until 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, when the Gregory-Portland Independent School District is in regular session. This shall apply to students attending GPISD schools, unless excused from class.
Curfews apply to minors (under the age of 17). Minors may not be in any public place or business during curfew hours. Business owners and employees commit an offense if they allow a minor on their property during curfews. Parents commit an offense if they allow a minor to stay out during curfew hours. Those who violate the curfew ordinance can be fined up to $500. View the curfew ordinance (link) in its entirety.
There are some exceptions such as when the minor is:
- Accompanied by a parent or guardian
- Attending a school, religious, or recreational event supervised by adults who take responsibility for the minor
- Involved in an emergency
- On an errand at the direction of a parent or guardian
- On the sidewalk in front of his/her home or the next door neighbor's home (so long as it is not the neighbor who reports it to the police)
- Traveling through the city
- Working or going to or from work without any detours