- Development Services
- How to Apply For a Building Permit
How to Apply For a Building Permit
To begin the permit process, complete an application and email it to the Building & Development Department along with any required documents.
Applications can also be picked at the City Annex building, located at 601 Moore Avenue.
For any questions, call the department at Phone 361-777-4550.
Building permits are issued in the name of the property owner(s) or licensed contractors performing the work. Generally, you will need to provide the following:
- A building permit application
- One Com-check (2009 Energy Code for Commercial) or one Res-check (2009 Energy Code for Residential)
- W.P.I.-1 Form for Windstorm Certification
There are four types of permit applications issued by the City of Portland. They are as follows:
If you are a submitting a permit for a New Commercial Building you will need to use the Commercial Building Permit Application (PDF).
Please use the General Permit Application (PDF) for any of the following work:
Please use the Garage Sale Permit Application (PDF) for a garage sale.
- Please email application or come in person by no later than 4:30 p.m.
- Signs will be available at City Annex building at 601 Moore Ave. Portland, Texas 78374.
If you are a submitting a permit for a New Single Family Residence you will need to use the Residential Building Permit Application (PDF).
Most permits will require a review process that may take up to 48 hours to complete for most projects. New residential construction permits can take up to 5 business days to process. New commercial construction permits can take up to 10 business days to process.